Thursday, November 08, 2007

Double Negative

When Ruby can't do something, she doesn't say "I can't do that" - no, she says "I don't can't do that." Truth be told, we really love this particular construction. Especially when she's desperate: "I don't can't ZIP IT!!!" or "I don't can't REACH IT!!!"

But she's also getting sensitive, very sensitive. Sometimes when she just says something cute or funny we might giggle a bit at her cuteness or funniness but mostly, she doesn't like this so much anymore. She can even be in a good or average mood, and she still doesn't like it. She will pout, crumple, whimper or cry.

Also, being that she's two going on three, we often have to remind her of the rules: "Don't stand on the toilet, that's the rule." Very often her retort will be "That's not the rule, that's the problem!" Huh?

And now to change the subject:

Did you know that when produce is on sale at Harris Teeter as "buy one get one free" you don't actually have to buy 2? They'll give you the half price discount even if you just buy one! Produce only, though! I like this; it's hard to use 2 heads of cauliflower before it goes bad. I've been shopping at HT for 18 years or something and just found this out. Thought you all might like to know.

1 comment:

Hallie Montgomery said...

If "don't" isn't working for you or Ruby, try phrasing it in the positive. Ex. "We SIT on the toilet. You can STAND on the stool" Sometimes all they end up hearing is everything except the "don't" part.
Your friendly child development tip for the day! :)
Hallie