Friday, February 16, 2007

My Most Excellent Links

I wish I could figure out how to put a permanent set of links off to the side of our blog posts. If there are any Blogger experts out there who can help, let me know. Til then, this post will have to suffice for those of you who are dying to know what I like to click on when I surf.

Gardening websites:
There are a ton of great ones. Here are a few:

1. Garden Web Forums. These are awesome. You meet a lot of cranky people within, but take 'em with a grain of salt. Last summer, I posted an innocent question about tomatoes and got harshed upon because I was growing mostly Early Girls. That's the kind of treatment you're likely to get there, but it's fun nonetheless. I like these forums a lot: Compost, Design, Winter Sowing (not that I've actually done that yet), Lawns.

2. Renegade Gardener. I think this started out as a website for northern clime gardening but Don's advice straddles many USDA zones and his post on tree rings was hilarious and influential.


Funny Mother websites:
3. Dooce. I actually went back to the very beginning of her Monthly Archives and read them all. Now I'm hooked.


Other interesting sites:
4. Ask Metafilter. Maybe I'm new to the whole Q&A website thing, but I like to check into this one from time to time. I haven't ponied up the $5 to post a Q but I'm hoping maybe someday someone will ask my current burning question. (Today's: can I trim the roots around my maple tree without harming it?)

5. Urban Dictionary. Just discovered this. A while back, a student asked me what "yo mama" means and I had a hard time thinking up a definition. Wish I'd known about this at the time.

6. Steve Pavlina. I'm a bit embarrassed to be linking this one. He is probably a total cornball and possibly dangerous in a cultish sort of way but I think some of his articles are interesting. Not that he needs any more money from anyone clicking on his website.

That's all for now. Feel free to post links to some of your best time-killers in the comments section. Remember you don't have to sign up with blogger, just post anonymously and then sign your name, unless you want to be secretive.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Kirsten -- if you haven't upgraded to the new blogger, you might try that. The new version makes it pretty easy to add/change/remove various design elements.

Hallie Montgomery said...

Eh Hem...um, I think you might know another "funny mommy" website. Can I get some props here, please! :)
Hal

Anonymous said...

hey - I'm not sure this is the right posting to leave a comment on, but here is a link to a NYT article about graham cracker intake amongst toddlers who eat in groups.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/20/health/nutrition/20Beha.html?ref=science

Kirsten said...

Ryan, thanks - I'll have to look into that. Did you stop blogging? I was checking into yours for a while there.

Hallie, shall I link you, too? :)

Schwester, interesting. I know that when I'm eating in a group, I get a bit frenzied worrying about getting my fair share!

Anonymous said...

I like www.mojomom.com and www.neatfreak.wordpress.com. Thanks for the gardening blog links!
--Caroline P. :)