Did you know Ruby was a scientist? It's true. As I type, she is actively contributing to scientific knowledge. By virtue of being a 19 month old toddler, Ruby is an unwitting participant in an EPA research study. (Al Gore would be proud). Actually, the study doesn't have much to do with the environment at all. For $120 plus a gift certificate to her favorite toy store, Ruby wears an "accelerometer" on a belt around her tummy which records all of her movements (with great precision, I might add). The two young ladies in the photograph are chemists (huh?) from a local research company who have come to transfer the data from her belt-computer onto a laptop. I saw her tantrums (yikes!), her pea
ceful stroller rides, and even her little nighttime wakings (we all have them, you know!) all there on the computer screen in their stark, empirical glory. The project she's involved in is trying to get data on babies' and toddlers' typical daily movements.Here you see Ruby enjoying the kiddie pool WHILE doing important research. Don't worry, the accelerometer is waterproof! And surprisingly, it doesn't bother her at all.
On another front, the garden at 740 Williams Circle has (probably) hit its peak. During the cooler part of the growing season we enjoyed peas and about 10 fava beans. We then had quite the bean (green and yellow) harvest, though they've slowed down considerably. These days are all about tomatoes (Early Girl), cherry toma
toes (Sungold - incredible harvest and flavor, and I'll never plant anything else!), crookneck squash, zucchini, cucumbers and a few okras. I planted some basil from seedlings that I started from last year's seeds and have started a perennial herb garden with thyme, chives, sage, lavendar and mint.Landscape-wise, I planted a couple trees earlier this spring: A red maple (Autumn Glory) for the eventual shade it will provide, along with its autumn glory; and a holly (Nellie R. Stevens) for evergreen privacy from the road. Daran's mom sent me two lilacs, one of which I have planted in a flower bed. I also started doing something cool called lasagna gardening. One such plot is at the bottom of the driveway and will eventually be a vegetable garden and the other is right out by the road and will take a wax myrtle (more privacy) and maybe another evergreen shrub or 2, along with some perennial flowers, or maybe a few other things.
3 comments:
How did you come across that study?
Very neat. Chuck and I are going to start trying late this year or early next year. We are excited. (I am a bit more than him).
Natalie
A friend of ours who's child was a playmate of Ruby's (they recently moved to Charlotte) discovered it being advertised and tipped Kirsten off. The amazing thing is Ruby never messed with the belt. She just accepted it and went on with her life. As of 9am this morning she is no longer being monitored. Though we assume the NSA is following us all.
Exciting news about the decision to try and procreate - good luck!
Natalie, good luck with the ttc! It's been nice to hear from you here. I hope all is well!
Post a Comment